From:
Walter Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 12:30:05 -0500
In fairness to the remark which partially prompted my response, I described or
alluded to a position that the representatives of the several "states" and
"commonwealths" were not "members of Congress". In context, they were not
members of "the" Congress that resulted from the ratification of our
Constitution and forms our continuing "Congress" to this day -- and from which
we now wrestle with "their intentions". They were members of the Continental
Congress operating as a league under the Articles of Confederation wrestling
with forming an agreement that resulted in "the Congress", "the agreed upon law
of the land", and the "national unity". My intent of explanation being: the
point from which we wrestle with their "intent" begins after the ratification,
not before. Of course the "before" is a consideration but upon ratification it
has become "background" subservient to codification. Me thinks I grind the point
much too fine and I may be relying too heavily on my grade school recollections.
For my own ease of mind, I quote from Sol Bloom, page 44: "The conventions of
several States consented to ratify the Constitution only after they became
satisfied the Bill of Rights would be made a part of it." - Hence, in
determining civil law where the "preponderance of the evidence" determines the
outcome not "beyond a reasonable doubt" it would appear to me that an agreement
had been reached and that agreement was that the Bill of Rights were a part of
the "original" Constitution -- a most glorious, miracle in the "American
Experiment". Clearly, the first documented attempt to shield the individual from
the power and control of government (the popular) and not to shield the
"popular" from the individual. In this "experiment" it is well to remember that
the majority (the polls) does not rule, the law rules. Hence the struggle to
shape our courts: and to worry and fret over the terms, "strict interpretation"
and "living" constitution.

Just for fun: "If "we" were truly an intelligent people, well grounded and in
accord in and with what our Founders "intended", we would limit the federal
bureaucracy to minting coin and maintaining a navy; and do so from a place so
far removed in Kansas that even Dorothy couldn't find her way home to "Antee
Emm"!