Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:26:09 -0400
Phebe,

I've spent a good bit of  time rummaging around old cemeteries and would
suggest the following:

Wear the heaviest shoes you've got.

Wear socks and tuck the bottoms of the pants in the shoes, or if you've
got boots wear them instead of the shoes. (Whatever you do, don't wear a
dress.)

Douse your socks as well as the bottoms of the pants and sleeves  with a
heavy, heavy, dose of  "Off."

Careful where you walk.  Many graves in old cemeteries are badly sunken
and you can easily trip and fall.

Wear a long-sleeve shirt, no matter how hot it is, and button the sleves
and the collar.

Take a stick and run it around any tombstones before you stoop down to
study them.  That'll help with the snake problem. (Snakes, when the
weather is hot, like to find cool places.)

One of  the great problems is chiggers, so as soon as you get home
remove all clothing and take a good soapy shower.  Make sure to wash
completely under your arms and in the groin area. And for heaven's sake,
don't put any of  the clothes you wore to the cemetery back on.

Yes talcum powder, flour of corn starch will help bring up info on the
stones. (Flour's cheapest!)Take a paint brush so you can both apply it
and then use the brush to also remove it from outside the lettering.
You might want to take a strong flashlight and use it to skim the light
across the lettering from the side.  Side lighting works best to bring
up detail.

I hope this helps.  Happy hunting!

Maurice Duke