From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 10:21:22 -0700
Crawl out from under that rock more often. Susan.  You made a good point.
--Joanne

Susan Sheppard <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Whoa, wait. "They all seem"??   Generalizations are ... what shall I say?
... well, maybe I'd best not try to complete that thought with more than,
generalizations aren't good.   Please don't "find" support for one thing
(SOLs) in things that are not related (use of structured Christian-based
curriculums).  Not "all" of any group think alike, work alike, study alike,
sing alike, dance alike ...

Homeschoolers don't all: homeschool for the same reason, have the same
philosophy, use the same curriculum ... or use a "curriculum" period.  They
don't all dress alike, although most probably do wear clothes (That's a
joke; there was an article, I don't remember where, a decade or more ago
that managed to imply that homeschoolers didn't wear shirts.  I assume the
writer intended to reference the male students, altho I seem to remember
that that wasn't entirely clear. ).  They do not all belong to the same
homeschooling organizations.  Some want and need all the guidance and
structure they can get; others want none of that.  Some might swear by ABeka
or Bob Jones or KONOS, and others might swear at them.  [No attacks, please!
I'm joking.]  And the later might swear *by* John Holt, and the former might
never have heard of him or might be certain that he's the root of anything
weak in homeschooling.  Or might like John Holt but still choose to go a
different route.

I don't know statistics re how many use structured curriculums and how many
unschool (if my aging memory serves, that term was coined by Holt) or how
many "use" the SOLs or any given curriculum, boxed or otherwise.  Last I
knew, VA didn't require that information be recorded with the
counties/cities, so I'd assume coming up with "real" statistics would be
difficult.  Not to mention, unnecessary.

OK, I'll go crawl back under my rock!

Susan