From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 00:16:19 -0600
Just discovered this among the hundreds of e-mails on I have received in
the last two days.  Brent's analysis is not implausible, given the
language of the amendment. Curiously, as far as I know, there was never
any discussion of this theory of the Amendment until the 15 or 20 years
when people who want to breatk down the wall of separation (to use
Jefferson's phrase) between church and state argued that the
establishment clause was disigned to allow the states to do whatever
they wanted with religion, and only prevented the federal government
from "establishing religion.".   Even if this interpretation was
correct, the 14th Amendment undermines its value.  Starting with Gitlow
v. NY (1925) the Court has "incorporated" most of the Bill or Rights to
the states (not all of it).  This 1st Amendment has been intirely
incorporated.  What this means is simply that the Court has held, over
and over again, for more than 75 years, that certain rights protected by
the Bill of RIghts (such as those in the1st amendment) cannot be
abridged by the states just as they cannot be abridged by the federal
government.

So, our right to free speech is protected whether it is a state or a
federal law that might be abridging it.  Thus, in Near v. Minnesota
(1931) the superme court held that a state could not prevent a newspaper
from publishing because the first amendment, as applied to the states
throught the 14th amendment, did not allow such censorship.  Similarly,
in Cantwell v. Connecticut (1940) the Court held that a state or city
government could not prohibit religious speech by a Jehovah's Witness.
 Similarly, in the school prayer cases the Court ruled that prayer in
public schools constituted an establishment of religion by the state, in
violation of the 1st and 14th Amentment.  Last spring the court applied
this to the posting of Ten Commandment plaques in Kentucky Courthouses.
  Jefferson, I am sure, would have applauded this decision.

I hope this helps.

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law