From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:40:26 -0500
A brief biography of Joseph Bridger (1632-1686) is in volume two of the
Library of Virginia's Dictionary of Virginia Biography, which includes
references to the leading primary and secondary sources.

Many old source books and secondary accounts, including John Bennett
Boddie's books, were based on research in many fewer resources than are
available today and are therefore not so much inaccurate as incomplete.
It is always unsafe to rely uncritically on the older literature, just
as it is unwise to ignore or disregard it, because in some instances
earlier writers had access to family documents that may no longer be
available.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us