From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2019 13:52:12 -0500
Here's a quick summary of the Philips case (from my Patrick Henry: Champion
of Liberty p 331). -- which became the subject of confusion and inaccurate
memories etc early in June 1788 at the Virginia Convention.
[During the Revolutionary War], with initial encouragement from Governor
Dunmore, Josiah Philips of Princess Anne County, near Norfolk, had led a
band of “insurgents” and “evil-disposed persons” in a series of thefts,
murders, and “atrocious actions” that terrorized the southeastern corner of
Virginia during the early years of the revolutionary war.  Governor Henry
and his council offered a $250 reward in 1777 for the capture of Philips
and two lieutenants and later doubled the reward.  Early in 1778 the
assembly targeted Philips with a bill of attainder – a legislative act
inflicting punishment upon a person without a judicial trial. Prepared by
Thomas Jefferson, the bill of attainder declared Josiah Philips guilty of
“high treason,” sentenced him to “suffer the pains of death,” and declared
him an outlaw subject to being lawfully captured or killed by any person.
Once Philips was taken into custody, however, Henry, Jefferson, and
Attorney General Edmund Randolph consigned the prisoner to the General
Court, where Philips was convicted in a jury trial and then executed at the
gallows near Williamsburg on November 23, 1778.  In short, Josiah Philips
was hanged in accord with a judicial verdict not a legislative act of
attainder."

Back in 1776 both Mason's draft and the committee draft of the Virginia
Declaration of Rights had a clause proscribing in general terms certain
kinds of legislation - i.e,. it described without using the terms
themselves both ex post facto laws and bills of attainder.  Henry objected
(as I describe at p 231) and the clause was deleted from the final text of
the Virginia Declaration of Rights.   So strictly speaking, the 1778
decision to enact a bill of attainder did NOT contradict the Declaration of
Rights.

--
Jon Kukla