From:
marsha moses <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:44:50 -0400
It might be quite likely that one would board a steamship at Guyandotte,
Va if it was before the Civil War (Guyandotte would now be in WV) which
I am assuming to be the case --you are probably talking about the gold
rush. One would probably take the James River Road from Lexington, Va
via Lewisburg to Guyandotte.

 But then I think again and wonder if you would travel through
Cumberland Gap into Ky from Roanoke in which case you are likely to pick
up the riverboat at Cinn (Covington, Ky) or Louisville.

Be sure to look in the National Geographic Sept 2000 for a great article
on  the trail west Circa 1849.

You have hit all of my favorite topics--steamships, migration trails,
gold rush....please get back in touch if I can add details of any sort.
Marsha in WV