From:
Michael Nicholls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2012 07:57:43 -0600
Terry--I stumbled on to this yesterday while looking for something else in the York Co Judgments and Orders No. 8, 1803-1814: on page 147, 16 June 1806 John Wallace DeRozario a free black man resident of this county liscenced to keep a firelock, powder and shot during his good behaviour agreeable to an act of assembly of 4 Feb 1806
p. 331--17 April 09--ordered that John W. Derozario be summoned to appear here on the 3rd monday next month to shew cause of any he can why the order heretofore granted to him by this court giving him leave to carry one firelock, powder and lead shoudl not be rescinded and the arms aforesaid taken from him.
p. 337--15 May 09--It appearing to the court that John W. Derozario a free Negro to whom leave was heretofore been given by this ct to keep a firelock etc has been guilty of improper conduct and misapplied the same and the said Derozario having appeared and shewing no cause to the contrary It is ordered that the said Firelock be taken from him.

This is not literal. Enjoy--Mick

Michael L. Nicholls
Professor of History, Emeritus
Dept. of History