From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 10:17:29 -0400
I am just not in contact with high schools and what they teach.  I assume
that it must be very bland but that is only a guess.  Social studies, as
history was called when I was in high school in the 1960s, was generally
quite bland.  But it all depended on the teacher.

In middle school, I happened to take social studies from a Japanese-American
man who had suffered some of the indignities foisted on his people during WW
II.  He was a loyal American but as you can imagine his view of life in the
US and his view of world affairs in general was quite different from the
norm, a la Elaine Tyler May.  I started reading Japanese history under his
tutelage.  Our math teacher there was from India.  When he had exhausted us
teaching us geometry, he began talking about village life in India north of
New Delhi.  One of the great problems with school segregation--de jure in
the past, de facto at present--is the homogeneity of students and teachers;
hence the homogeneity of what they learn and teach.

In high school I had a number of ordinary social studies teachers but in my
senior year I entered a class taught by a man who taught college
anthropology at night while maintaining a fulltime job teaching high school.
His class on international relations was a revelation.  He used a standard
COLLEGE textbook and demanded that we write essays, as did our senior
English teacher.  (Remember, this was a inner city "ghetto" high school.)

I learned a lot in grade school, both within the curriculum and by reading
outside of it, but the greatest lesson I learned was how important learned
and aggressive teaching is to a person's intellectual development.  (This is
the main reason I became a teacher.) Much of grade school social studies is
preparation (if not propaganda) for citizenship.  This is not in itself a
bad thing but it is useless preparation for the critical analysis of human
affairs in the very different venue of a liberal arts college where critical
thinking is the coin of the realm.

The tendencies of American educational reform since the end of the 1960s is
to make colleges more like high schools, not high schools more like
colleges.

I think that much of importance flows from this including our sometime
preference to lean on myths about American history so we can live our
ordinary lives without inner conflict.  I think that our debates about "PC"
history, etc., have their basis not only in disagreements about historical
facts but also in a substrata of psychological need for a usable past:  a
past that provides psychological comfort.   In the crisis of the late-1960s,
it was academic historians, Clinton Rossiter, Robert Starobin, Douglass
Adair, and others, who committed suicide.  At the time I found this very
curious.  Why did historians resonate with the crisis of the times, while
economists, political scientists, and physicists just go on doing their
jobs?

I will hazard a guess that deep knowledge of the history of a complex and
conflicted society/civilization across time is a risky venture.  Moreover,
history as a discipline doesn't generate theories that can insulate the
thinker from the reality she/he is studying.
Eugen Weber wrote:  '"Nothing is more concrete than history, nothing less
interested in theories or in abstract ideas.  The great historians have
fewer ideas about history than amateurs do;  they merely have a way of
ordering their facts to tell their story.  It isn't theories that they look
for, but information, documents, and ideas about how to find and handle
them.'" (From NY Times obit. of Eugen Weber, 5/22/07)  This may sound dull
and distant but I insist that a lifetime of disciplined searching produces
something like direct experience.

I will conclude with an analogy which has affected me ever since I read of
it.  Ralph Waldo Emerson was a Transcendentalist, which was a peculiarly
American version of continental Romanticism.  One term in the canon of
Romanticism was the requirement of a direct experience with Nature in all
its forms.  Thus, Emerson decided to make weekly visits to the tomb of his
first wife, whom he loved dearly and who died shortly after they were
married.  On each visit he looked into the coffin and observed the process
of bodily decomposition.  It was at this time that Emerson began to write
the essays and books for which he is remembered.  Much later in life, his
only son Ralph, jr. died.  Emerson repeated the tomb visitation he had done
with his first wife, watching Ralph, jr. deteriorate.  After about a year,
Emerson stopped the visitation and basically stopped writing for the rest of
his life.

The moral and emotional relationship of a serious historian to her/his
society is I think essentially equivalent to normal peoples' relationship to
their loved ones.  For me, the art and the ethical burden of being a
historian lies within the formulation of the previous sentence and the above
analogy.

Harold S. Forsythe