From:
Jane Ailes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:38:32 -0500
The French's Neck mentioned in the email below is in today's
Hampshire Co., West Virginia, along the South Branch of the Potomac,
at the point where the South Branch meets the North Branch of the
Potomac.  Other names for this place are "Forks of Potomac", French's
Station", and "South Branch".  The name "French's Station" I think
came into use after the railroad was built (pre-Civil War) because
there was a depot located here.

On today's USGS map, this neck of land sandwiched between a bend in
the South Branch and the North Branch of the Potomac, right at the
point where these two rivers meet, is labeled as "South Branch
(French Sta)".  The road leading into this remote spot is called
French Station Road.

All of Hampshire Co. (part of Frederick Co. until 1754) was within
the Northern Neck Proprietary.  The numbered lots along the Wappacomo
or Great South Branch River were surveyed by James Genn in 1748/49 at
Lord Fairfax's instruction.  You can view the grants, and some of the
later surveys, online at the Library of Virginia's web site.  Some of
the grants were rerecorded in the Frederick and Hampshire Cos. deed
books.  Also subsequent sales of the lots are recorded in the deed
books of Frederick and Hampshire counties, and often mention the lot
numbers, and sometimes give a complete history of ownership of the
lots.  If you are researching the French family, I encourage you to
access the courthouse records in Frederick and Hampshire counties.

Hope this helps,
Jane Ailes

<snip>