From:
"Hay, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:53:18 -0400
Usually wives were examined by justices of the peace to see if there was any
objection to a lessening of the estate by sale.  This was to protect the
property presumably brought into the marraige by the wife.  Along the same
vein, the courts ensured widow's recieved their "widows third", an amount
equal to one third of the estate or the value of the dowry(if any), which
ever was greater.  Women ideally had their rights protected by their
husbands but did not precisely lose them.  Agaian ideally she could object
to a sale, I wonder if it ever really happened.
Thomas Hay
Site Manager, Courthouse
Department of Historic Sites
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation