From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:29:42 EST
In a message dated 3/29/01 1:15:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Would someone please explain to me why the Jefferson-Hemings paternity
issue
 is so important?  Is the issue so important because a hidden motive is
 behind this argument?  It appears to me, that many people forget that Thomas
 Jefferson was neither a God nor perfect. >>

I in no way pretend to be an expert on the details of the DNA study, but my
understanding is that a primary reason this is important (aside from the fact
that it involves one of our greatest Presidents) to the descendants of Sally
Hemmings is that they want to be acknowledged as his blood descendants, to
prove the connection that has been handed down through their families'
stories for 200 years, and have all the benefits bestowed to his legitimate
descendants, including Monticello Association membership for descendants of
Thomas Jefferson and burial in the family cemetery.  See:
http://www.polkonline.com/stories/051699/nat_reunion.shtml

I realize this only partially answers your question on this particular case,
and yes there are some that think this besmirch's Jefferson's reputation.   I
have been following this very carefully for many years because  I am a
descendant of CARRS, and there have been some Carr boys  "implicated" as
parents of Sally Hemmings' children in the past.

This may be a difficult thing to understand unless you have do have an
illegitimate ancestor, who all signs point to as  the son or daughter of an
identifiable individual.  I have such a great grandfather, Hugh Lawson White
Hill, b. 1840 in Warren Co TN, thought to be the son of a man of the same
name, b. 1810 in the same county, who later became a Congressman.  We have
accumulated enough circumstantial evidence regarding the relationship
(including a letter on file from the 1870s reporting that HLW Hill Sr.'s wfe,
whom he married 3 months after my grandfather, was upset about the bastard,
and lots more) that we are included as likely descendants on several
websites...But there was never any formal acknowlegement or actual proof (and
there have been trips to Tennessee) and my great grandfather refused to talk
about it.   He also married (in Missouri to which he ran away in 1853 and
moved in next door) the daughter of a Gay family which had direct dealings
with these same Hills from Edgecombe Co NC>Elbert (and surrounding) Co GA
then to TN, starting more than 85 years before the 1863 marriage in Missouri.
 I have recently broached the topic of DNA testing with one of my cousins and
he is pondering it.  I have identified at least three male Hills that still
carry the name and are legitimate descendants.  At the moment COST is the
main factor, but several of the older set are quite excited by the prospect,
as this has been a lifelong goal of theirs, starting in the 1950s and before.

The fact that it involves Thomas Jefferson gives the story the publicity,
however, DNA testing is now being considered by scores of family groups for
the very same reason, including particular ones trying to tie back to
specific folks in the UK, Europe etc.  So on a different plane, the whole
case has had the effect of being beneficial for ALL of us interested in
genealogy issues, by advertising the benefits of DNA testing, increasing
demand for DNA testing, lowering the costs somewhat...opening up a whole new
area to "document" in a way maybe more conclusive than wills and such,
ancestry.  Therefore, the methodology and objectivity issues so carefully
laid out in the Jefferson-Hemmings Woodson study have broad
applications/implications for others doing the studies.  It may be of more
interest in many ways to genealogy folks, than the public at large.

I hope this helps.

Janet (Baugh) Hunter