Date:
Sat, 17 May 2008 00:22:58 EDT
Well said, Doug

Warren

In a message dated 5/16/2008 9:12:03 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

This  discussion has demonstrated, among other things, the confusion we
produce when  we  fail to differentiate between history and what might be called
heritage.  The problem  is not that we lack conclusive evidence on  which to
base our answer to the main question: Did Jefferson father any  of  Hemings'
children? It is, rather, that all or most parties to the  discussion appear to
have a personal stake in the answer. Not having such a  stake is one of the
prerequisites (but not the only one!) for writing  objective history. Having a
stake, in contrast, takes us--almost by  definition--off the track of historical
inquiry and onto the parallel track of  heritage fabrication. We fashion a
heritage--usually as part of some group  (nation, region, ethnic group)--in order
to forge an identity out of bits and  pieces of history, myths, legends,
values. Heritage thrives on error; it  cannot serve its purpose--to make the
members of a group happy with (even  inspired by!) its so-called past--without
getting the real history wrong. The  attempt to get the history right, let the
chips fall where they may, is always  a disappointment to heritage-seekers.

Why can't we be content with  real history and somehow move beyond the need
for the distortions produced by  heritage? We don't really know, but quite
possibly it (heritage) is what our  brains are programmed by human evolution to
produce and favor. In comparison,  the history in which we have no personal
stake is rather colorless and  bland... or just complicated, offering no clear
lessons. Objectivity exacts a  high price in detachment.

On heritage and history, see David  Lowenthal's Possessed by the Past; on the
brain, Cordelia Fine's A Mind of Its  Own.

Doug Deal
History/SUNY  Oswego

favorites at AOL Food.