From:
Hollis Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 21:45:37 -0700
Marriage records for Norfolk have survived for 1866.
I'm not sure if they were copied from separate racial
registers or individual returns of ministers, but the
microfilmed copy includes both black and white
marriages.  Further distinctions are made between free
born and colored brides and grooms.

These records though, wouldn't constitute cohabitation
records because they don't refer to prior slave
marriages.  And I've not compared the Norfolk records
with other cities.  Perhaps local record keeping
practices might explain why FB agents didn't prepare
or submit the registers to Bureau HQs.

I don't have marriage totals for Norfolk, but the
Goochland register recorded nearly 1,000 marriages,
the one for Nelson County recorded little over 630 and
the Louisa Courthouse register recorded more than 1200
marriages.  I would estimate the Norfolk numbers to be
higher than any of these, but again, I don't have
totals.

I also recall seeing marriage returns amongst DC FB
records for Northern VA couples. However I'm not sure
if the records reflect a preference or requirement to
record marriages in Washington.