Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:34:36 -0500
Anita,

According to The Word Detective (http://word-detective.com), in a column
published in newspapers on 11/05/98:

"This horrifying story is, as I'm sure you suspect, not even remotely true.
'Picnic' first appeared in English in 1748, apparently borrowed directly
from the French 'piquenique,' which combined 'piquer' (pick) with the
obsolete French word 'nique' (trifle). The first picnics were what we would
call pot-luck dinners. Only in the mid-19th century did 'picnic' come to
mean a meal eaten outdoors. There is not, and never was, a secret racist
history to 'picnic.'"

Thank goodness that it is only an urban legend!

Jean Spradlin-Miller