From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2014 13:49:10 -0400
Paulus Hook, Springfield, or New Garden?

Hi Folks,

Please mark your calendars for Wednesday, May 21, the next meeting of the American Revolution Round Table of Richmond.  Ben Huggins of the Papers of George Washington will present “Light Horse Harry Lee’s Greatest Day.”  Which one of the above?  The usual reminder will follow in May.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/2013-meeting-schedule.html

Other news from our friends.

1.  Here are two reviews for recently released books from Westholme Publishing.  A number of us had the pleasure of meeting Westholme’s Bruce Franklin at the recent Third Conference on the American Revolution.  Dr. Benjamin Church, Spy by John Nagy  http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/28/book-review-the-most-dangerous-spy-in-american-his/ and Kidnapping the Enemy by Christian McBurney http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/7/book-review-mad-lee-and-the-young-revolution/   I highly recommend the many Revolutionary War books that Westholme has published.  Check http://westholmepublishing.com/colonial-and-revolutionary-war-history.php

2.  Charlie Gray from the Back Country ARRT reminds us about some upcoming lectures, including one by our own Bert Dunkerly.

I just wanted to pass some information along regarding the contents of our lecture series at Cowpens National Battlefield. Please pass the information around to anyone who may be interested. All programs are free.

On May 10th at 2:00, we will have historian Robert Brown, author of Kings Mountain and Cowpens: Our Victory Was Complete, to speak about the American Revolution in the back country as a civil war. His books are also for sale in the park's bookstore and he will be available after his talk to sign them.

On May 24th at 12:30, we will have retired Lieutenant Colonel John Moncure, who researched and wrote the original Cowpens Staff Ride the military uses today. He will speak about what a military Staff Ride is, how the military uses battlefields to train officers, and he will conduct a Staff Ride of the battlefield for the visitors to experience. Anyone who would like to do a little reading and preparation beforehand can sign up as the part of Daniel Morgan, John Howard, Andrew Pickens, William Washington, or Banastre Tarleton and participate in that manner if they wish. If you would like to have an active participating role, please contact me via email or phone at the park. The Staff Ride that was written by John Moncure is available in PDF form on our website:

http://www.nps.gov/cowp/planyourvisit/staff-ride-information.htm

On June 28th at 10:30 AM Robert Dunkerly, author of Women of the Revolution: Bravery and Sacrifice on the Southern Battlefields will be speaking about the roles of women during the war. His book is for sale in our park's bookstore and he will be available to sign them.

I hope some of you find something interesting in this list. We would love to have you come out and enjoy the programs.

Margo Blewett

Visitor Services Assistant/Volunteer Coordinator

Cowpens National Battlefield

338 New Pleasant Road

Gaffney, SC 29341

864-461-2828

3.  John Maass, always a source of interesting information, forwarded this story about an early flag http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1816319.

4.  Dave Riggs of Yorktown NP informed us that Andrew O’Shaughnessy’s The Men Who Lost America is a finalist for Washington College’s George Washington Book Prize.  His book has garnered many well deserved kudos.  Good luck, Andrew.  Details are at https://www.washcoll.edu/live/news/5104-and-the-finalists-for-the-2014-washington-book

5.  Here’s information on the annual Francis Marion seminar -

Greetings to History Buffs & Francis Marion Admirers:

On the anniversary of the success at Fort Watson 233 years ago, mark your calendar:

12th Francis Marion/Swamp Fox Symposium

Oct 24-25, 2014, Manning, SC

Explore the Revolutionary War Southern Campaign with General Francis Marion

Immerse yourself in Francis Marion's world and the significance of the Southern Campaign of the American Revolution.

Site: FE DuBose Campus, Central Carolina Technical College, I-95, Exit 122, Manning, SC

Francis Marion Advocates

Swamp Fox Murals Trail Society

PO Box 667, Manning SC 29102

[log in to unmask]   803-478-2645, cells: 803-460-9626, 803-460-7416

Download the new Clarendon County Tour APP

Make plans for Oct 24-25, 2014 www.francismarionsyhmposium.com  and see on Facebook

Our websites for Rev. history: www.clarendonmurals.com

6. Remember that in May, ARRT-Richmond will select its annual preservation partner.  There are currently three nominations.  There will be more information in our May meeting reminder.  Please pass along any suggestions.  Thanks.

Bill Welsch