Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 01:55:32 EDT
In a message dated 4/22/01 8:24:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< on 4/22/01 4:46 PM, Suza Sarnecki at [log in to unmask] wrote:

 > For my daughter in 4th grade for a historical fiction story about a trip
 > to the gold fields. We are looking for the likely overland route to St.
 > Louis from Roanoke including, if likely at the time, passage on steamship
 > or other boat on the Ohio. We have not had any success finding much
 > information about routes to St. Louis from the east. Thank you for your
 > help.

The mostly likely way would be over land to the head of the Holston, (Marion,
VA) where they would get a flat boat and float into the Tennessee River and
all the way to the Ohio.  There were several boat builders in Smyth County,
which always seemed odd to me, since it is in the mountains, then talking to
some of the older folks who had heard the tales, it suddenly made sense.

Jeff "I hate pollen" Weaver
Arlington, VA
http://www.ls.net/~newriver/nrv.htm
http://members.aol.com/jweaver300/grayson/vacwhp.htm