From:
"Kimball, Gregg (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:24:16 -0400
Another Virginian died of injuries suffered in a Thanksgiving Day
football game in 1894.  George Bahen, son of Richmond Alderman and
Jackson Ward ward boss James Bahen, was injuried while playing for
Georgetown in a game against the Columbia Athletic Club.  He lingered in
the hospital, partially paralyzed from a spine injury, until he passed
away in March 1895.  Georgetown suspended its football program for
several years following the tragedy. I recall seeing his monument in
Mount Calvary Cemetery while researching his father for the Dictionary
of Virginia Biography.

Gregg