From:
Tom Costa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2023 16:59:41 +0000
To Va. Listers thinking about submitting to Va. Forum:
  I would like to submit a proposal for a paper on my experience the past several years teaching Virginia History as a DEI course.  I have had a pretty rewarding experience asking my students to read excerpts from Virginius Dabney's _Virginia_, then contrasting them with excerpts from Brent's book, _Virginians and Their Histories_.  The latter is the textbook I require them to read; the former is the text I had when I took the course as an undergrad at ODU under Jim Sweeney (a long time ago).  When I came to Wise in the early 90s I also used it because in the words of my colleagues, it's the only thing we have.
  Anyway, if anyone out there is interested in doing something similar and would like to join in a panel, please email back and we can discuss details.  Perhaps we can invite Gov. Youngkin!

Tom Costa

Tom Costa
Professor, Dept. of History and Philosophy
Interim Dean of Faculty Affairs
UVa-Wise
Wise, VA
24293