From:
Beatriz Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:36:30 -0400
I am pleased to announce the completion of two new digital projects at the
College of William and Mary's Swem Library.  The first is an online version
of an exhibit called "Slavery in Virginia" that Swem Library developed in
2007.  William and Mary senior Sarah Erb curated the exhibit, Presson Fellow
Sarah Dorpinghaus put together the digital version in 2008, and William and
Mary student Joshua Karp did the final work to make it available online.  To
see the exhibit, please go to:

 <http://swem.wm.edu/departments/special-collections/exhibits/slavery/>
http://swem.wm.edu/departments/special-collections/exhibits/slavery/.

The second digital project makes available online transcripts of the William
Taylor Correspondence.  Sergeant William Taylor (b. 1828) of North Liberty,
Pennsylvania, enlisted in the 100th Pennsylvania Regiment in 1862.  He wrote
these letters from September 1862 through October 1864, from camps in
Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois, Tennessee, Mississippi, Indiana, and
Maryland to his wife Jane McKnight Taylor. Included are his descriptions of
the Battle of Fredericksburg, the shelling of Vicksburg, the fighting,
retreat, and siege outside of Knoxville, the siege of Petersburg, and the
Petersburg mine explosion and assault. Taylor was discharged from the
service with a medical certificate November 13, 1864.  Ralph G. Poriss
transcribed the letters.  Links to the transcripts are available at:

 <http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=7071>
http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=7071

My thanks to Amy Schindler, University Archivist, for shepherding these
projects to completion, and my thanks to Wayne Graham, now of the University
of Virginia, for helping get the online exhibit started when he still worked
at William and Mary.

Bea

Beatriz B. Hardy, Ph.D., Marian and Alan McLeod Director

Special Collections Research Center

Swem Library

College of William and Mary