From:
Alexander Colvin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:34:46 -0500
Greetings:
If I may, I would caution against a too-heavy reliance upon digitized
sources found on the Internet. They are ubiquitous, true, but IMHO, best
used as a reference to find the originals. I have found this particularly
true when working with older documents such as some types of 19th century
mortgages and leases; for example, clerks often indicated a satisfaction of
mortgage on the reverse side of the document, a leaf which is sometimes
missed by digitizers and even sometimes by microfilmers. Also, much was
expressed in marginalia, which is sometimes omitted in digitized
renditions. I can think of half a dozen "professional" genealogy databases
who routinely cut off document margins where relevant data is sometimes
found.
Kindly,
A. Colvin
The Colvin Study,