From:
Joe Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:43:48 -0800
I founded one DNA project (Chandler) and am a
co-administrator of two others, all three with
<FamilyTreeDNA.com> (www.ftdna.com).

While all of the factors mentioned so far have varying
degress of weight, eight that to us are among the most
important are

(1) speed of getting results;

(2) ease of use of the reports (i.e., the formating of
the website);

(3) support;

(4) the size of the providers data base;

(5) the PRIMARY PURPOSE of the provider (e.g., general
vs. special interest); and

(6) will the provider's results integrate easily with
other data bases;

(7) will the provider share/integrate with other data
bases and if so is there a fee (cross-check the
providers so that you can compare/contrast); and

(8) does the provider allow easy transfer of results
to YSearch.com, a free service of FTDNA that has
linkages to some but not all of the other providers.

The National Geo project -- which uses FTDNA as its
provider -- is NOT set upn for teh purpose of doing
"genealogical DBA" except in an ethnic sense. For this
purpose, it only uses the 12-marker test, which is
usually inadequate for anything except the most basic
genealogical purposes. According to our Chandler
Project expert -- a genuine DNA expert -- 12-markers
can actually match randomly sufficiently often that
one should not place much reliance on a 12-marker
test.

Moreover, one should investigate whether the MARKERS
CHOSEN by a particular website are best suited for
"genealogical DNA" or for other purposes, such as
ethnic and cultural research. I.e., what kind of
information is the owner/manager of the DNA provider
trying to gather.

If special ethnic identifies are being investigated --
e.g., African American, Native American and Jewish
lines -- be especially careful in evaluating what is
offered. Contact the provider with specific questions
to (1) find out if you get a reply and (2) what the
quality of the reply is. Then, ask another, perhaps a
more general provider, to find out what it says.

These are not all of the caveats, but some good ones.

jc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/science/nature/6293333.stm