From:
Tom Apple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:11:09 -0330
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:09:11 -0500, Kevin Joel Berland wrote

>  This suggests that female
> tattooing and puccoon-use were not mutually exclusive, and that
> Powhatan women did indeed use it for at least some occasions.

I know that in other Algonquin tribes, women would paint the part in their
hair red, and also the hairline on their forehead. I also recall reading that
the feet or heels were also painted red. It is supposed to indicate the
availability of the women (as in not being married).

If the Powhatans followed suit, it could account for the fact that Smith's
companion was painted red.

Regards,

Tom A.