From:
Kathleen Much <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:05:39 -0800
In an earlier message someone wrote:

> The British Library, St. Pancras, London, England
> www.bl.uk
> You'll need a "Reader's Card" to use any of the facilities, and they can be
> difficult to obtain.  They prefer that you do your research elsewhere, if
> the materials are readily available, as they are actually considered a
> library of last resort.  That having been said, however, they have
> everything ever published in the UK, and more.  Point of fact:  they have
> the world's largest collection of pornography.  By law, all UK publishers
> are required to send a free copy to them of everything and anything printed
> or otherwise reproduced.  When you submit a call slip, it could take days
> for the item to arrive.  The staff are generally swamped and cannot offer
> personal attention.

Unfortunately, the BL DOESN'T contain everything ever published in the
UK. I've been working there for a good while and find it continually
frustrating when I have a reference and the book isn't there. The
computerized catalog is a nightmare to anyone who has used a
well-designed university library catalog in the US. Wretched interface.

That said, the BL is wonderfully comfortable for working and now has
laptop computer outlets at most of its desks. The staff are very
helpful, though you may have to stand in line for a while.

Once you have a reader's card, you may use the online catalog and
order books in advance, for delivery to a reading room on the day you
expect to be there. I think the limit is six books at a time. Many
books are stored on site and can be retrieved in an hour or two, but
for ones that have to be borrowed from other sites, you may have to
wait a couple of days. Plan ahead.

If you have a university affiliation, getting a reader's card is
simple and can be accomplished in an hour (get there at opening time)
with appropriate i.d. If you aren't an academic, it might help to get
a letter of introduction from a librarian explaining why you need to
use the BL materials. You will have to fill out a form saying what
kind of research you are doing and what library resources you have
already tried.

Kathleen Much