From:
John Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:23:32 -0400
Joan, herewith a couple miscellaneous, _mostly non-stagecoach_, tidbits--probably _not very useful_:

1.  When Jefferson suggested to Monroe that he move from Fredericksburg to Albemarle (c1788-move 1789), Monroe said he was worried about how long it might take him to go to Richmond, where he had legal and governmental business; Jefferson replied (paraphrasing) "if you will but keep a horse half way between Charlottesville and Richmond, it will take but 12 hours."

2.  Papers of James Monroe editors Dan Preston and Marlena DeLong's volume 1, on President Monroe's extensive tours of the nation in 1817, 1818 and 1819, gives lots of detail on travel arrangements in those years  (Preston and DeLong, _The Papers of James Monroe,Vol. 1, A Documentary History of the Presidential Tours of James Monroe, 1817, 1818, 1819_ [Greenwood, 2003]).

3.  When Bill Clinton was to be inaugurated and said he would follow Jefferson's route from Monticello to Washington, Roger Mudd, then of the McNeil-Lehrer News Hour, used a lot of research to document Jefferson's route (several days, by carriage) and produced a wonderful 8-minute News Hour segment--Perhaps Roger Mudd or the News Hour staff might have some useful data.

4.  If my foggy memory is correct, I think the History Backstory folks recently discussed some transportation issues--it would be worth a query, I think.

Cheers!

John

John Pearce
Director, James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library
University Liaison for the Enchanted Castle Site at Germanna
University of Mary Washington
540 654-2112
Fax 540 654-1106
Web:  <http://www.umw.edu/jamesmonroemuseum/>

Celebrate the 250th anniversary of the birth of James Monroe, 1758 - 2008, and
the 100th anniversary of the University of Mary Washington, 1908 - 2008

>>> Joan Horsley <[log in to unmask]> 10/29/2008 9:28 AM >>>
Thank you. Yesterday I found the Michie Tavern in Charlottesville claims to have been built about 1784 in Earlysville (Albemarle Co.) on part of a stagecoach route from Charlottesville to Fredericksburg.  Do you (or anyone) know of such a route that early? --Joan