From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2007 20:33:18 -0400
On an online forum, we are discussin the book The Shakespeare Riots, and a
discussent who is either British or Australian, seems surprised that
Shakespeare was so well attended in the "antebellum" period. He was under
the impression that after the Revolutionary War, Americans tended to discard
Shakespeare and consider his works unworthy of study.

Can anyone elighten me as to whether the works of Shakespeare were typically
a part of libraries in Virginia between the Revolutionary and Civil Wars?

Thanks muchly for shedding any light on this issue!

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org