From:
Billy Bearden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:00:35 EST
Greeting's Y'all
  I've just recently joined this list, due to the fact that someone from this
list has pointed out to me there is some "Flag Bashers" amongst the
membership. I happen to respect the Confederate Flag(s) and they represent no hatred in
my use of them.

 I am a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, and just as Dr Hardwick
describes, most are comfortable middle class folk hailing from various
proffesional backgrounds. I am also a son of Virginia, born in Newport News, raised in
Hampton & married in Williamsburg.

   I have read where Professor Finkelman has praised a website that informs
it's readers of the 'many southern state flags that were changed in defiance of
integration' ,and currently living in Georgia , where that charge has been
labled against this state's flag from 1956, I can say after months of indepth
research and conversations with the men most responsible (Gov Vandiver, Judge
John Sammons Bell) for that change , and sworn oath testimony from Rep Denmark
Groover - both the info on that website and any further perpetuation of that
propaganda is a willful LIE !
 Also all other southern state flags were adopted in the late 1800's and
early 1900's , with the exception of Arkansas, which added a single star to an
already overcrowded star studded flag to represent their membership in the
Confederate states. How any learned mind could come to the conclusion that '50's
southern non existant mass flag changing is somehow related to the northern
integration rulings was involved is astounding....

  Dr Hardwick asks about southern white males. I will tell you that a recent
survey finds that the TOP 10 segregated cities in America belong to the NORTH.
Is it still about 25% of all black males that are behind bars? Drug use,
bastard children, skyrocketing crime rates, gangs. HIV & AIDS, unemployment, and
leaders who are quick to remind us that the Confederate Flag is racist and a
painful reminder of slavery, while demanding that Colonial Williamsburg,
Carter's Grove Plantation and the National Park Service INCLUDE the living history
interpreters of  'painful reminders of slavery' - all while ignoring the current
slavery that thrives in modern day Africa.

    Thanks for y'all's time. I would appreciate y'all's thoughts on those
issues
W. E. Bill Bearden
Georgia