From:
Eric Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:53:33 -0400
Just off the top of my head, I suspect the territorial militia was formed
not for any specific military action, but as did many militia of the period,
it stood ready for defense against any threats that may arise.  In
Mississippi Territory in the early republic there was certainly concern
about the possibility of Indian attack, primarily I would think from the
Choctaw, Chickasaw, and Creek bands.

Not knowing Mississippi military history very well, I'm not sure whether the
Claiborne in question is William Claiborne, who would eventually become
Governor of Louisiana, or Ferdinand Claiborne, who led a Mississippi militia
unit in the War of 1812.  My guess, because of the timing, is that it's the
former.

Regarding Governor Claiborne: William Charles Cole Claiborne (born in
Sussex, VA; graduate of William & Mary) was sent by Thomas Jefferson with a
unit of the Mississippi Territorial Militia to New Orleans in 1803 to serve
as Territorial Commissioner of Louisiana (later Governor of Territory of
Orleans and Governor of the state of Louisiana).

And I ran across this citation that may be of interest:

_Residents of Southeastern Mississippi Territory_, Book 3.
This volume is about the military and has records for the War of 1812 and
Soldiers and Territorial Militia before 1812.
Strickland & Edwards, 1995, 249pp $35.00

Hope this at least suggests the beginning of an answer!

--Eric

Eric D. M. Johnson
Proprietor
The Village Factsmith Historical Research & Consulting
http://www.factsmith.com/