From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:48:13 GMT
Douglas,
You made a good point. That is why humans split up into tribes,
because of their differences. It is just another example of mans
inhumanity to man. The point I attempted to make earlier was that no
one writing about history should make blanket statements. Just as I
would not say that all Europeans owned slaves, and no Africans did.
That is not correct nor is it correct to say that all Africans sold
slaves, or sold other Africans into slavery. Although some of my
ancestors were slaves, I cannot say that I am an expert on slavery.
What I do know comes from second hand and oral history. My Great Great
Grandmother was sold into slavery from Guinea in 1830. She was twelve
years old at the time, and bore children who were also enslaved. She
lived out her last years in Pennsylvania with my Great Grandfather,
her son. My mother said that she hated the Yankees (the Union
Soldiers), and often called them, "Damn Yankees". She was on an island
off of the coast of South Carolina and they did not go to the Island.
I believe she was upset with them for leaving them on the Island. She
was not rescued until 1879 when her son found her and took her north.
I guess she expected more from the Yankees then the Southerners who
enslaved her.

Anita

Order Sites for Notes And Documents of Free Persons of Color - Barnes
& Noble: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?
userid=9v5Ox3pAni&isbn=1411603338&itm=1

LEBOUDIN INFORMATION SITE:
http://www.orgsites.com/ca/leboudinpub/

-- "J. Douglas Deal" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Just another point about the apparent absence of racial solidarity when
Africans enslave "fellow Africans," etc. Throughout recorded history,
members of the same "race" have been known to slaughter each other with
abandon; occasionally the carnage has crossed racial lines as well, but
the prevailing pattern has been antagonism toward, not solidarity with,
ones near or somewhat distant neighbors. Certainly from medieval times
on, we see Europeans ("whites") warring with other Europeans, Africans
("blacks") doing the same with other Africans, native Americans
("reds"?)
with other native Americans, and so forth. Expecting to see solidarity
instead of antagonism *within* any given racial grouping is a
historical .
"African" and "black" were not meaningful categories for the many
diverse
peoples of that vast continent. Tribal and religious identities did
matter. Ditto Europe and the Americas.

Douglas Deal
Professor of History
State University of New York at Oswego
Oswego, NY 13126
(315)-312-3441

To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the
instructions