From:
Peter Bergstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 08:26:14 -0500
There were two types of tobacco marketing employed in Virginia during the
colonial period.

The older method -- the consignment system -- which you have described below
predominated from the early 1600's through about 1730.

The second method -- usually referred to as direct purchase -- had the
planter sell his crop directly to an English, or more likely Scots merchant
in Virginia.  This merchant or factor then handled all the arrangements and
assumed all the risk for getting the tobacco to it's ultimate market in
Europe.  As you might expect, the planter usually got a lower price for his
crop it he marketed it via direct purchase, but the upside was that he had
his cash or credit in hand at the moment of sale.

As to literature on this topic, I must suggest my own book on this subject
as one which describes both methods and their impacts upon the Virginia
economy in detail:

Peter V. Bergstrom,  _Markets and Merchants: Economic Diversification in
Colonial Virginia_, (New York, 1985).

I'm sorry to say that it is no longer in print, but it is available in most
university libraries.