From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2007 12:52:59 -0400
Banks were not 100% white before Maggie Walker started the St. Luke's Penny
Savings Bank.  We are forgetting the bank of the Grand Fountain of the
United Order of True Reformers (and also the bank of the Virginia Knights of
Pythias, though I am not sure it preceded the St Luke's Bank).  The key
difference was that the True Reformers and Pythian Banks were founded in
insurance services that were not actuarially sound and ultimately fell into
bankruptcy, drawing their banks down with them.  Since Walker corrected the
problem with the St. Luke's life insurance, it secured the St. Luke's Bank.

It is my understanding from the Richmond Times-Dispatch, that the St. Luke's
Penny Savings Bank survives, with name changes through multiple mergers,
today.  It is a major achievement of both black capitalism and the business
skills of black women in Virginia.

Harold S. Forsythe