From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2010 11:42:41 -0500
Just reservation about timing - aren't the notable instances of persecution
of baptists, for example, ca 1773 ?
Within a two years though we see petitions from baptists and other
dissenters treated with sympathy by many in Va assembly, and after the war
starts, evangelical recruits were needed for the army etc......
Madison in 1780s of course recruited dissenters to support passage of the
statute for religious freedom -- Jefferson was in France, had written the
statute during 1776-9 revision of the laws program -- but my sense is that
active persecution was earlier......   so  just quibbling about timing.
Jon Kukla
www.JonKukla.com <http://www.jonkukla.com/>