Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:30:25 -0500
There is a website called madeinvirginia.com where one can buy Edward's
hams.
BUT BUT BUT if buying an entire ham is a bit much I can highly recommend
this:
Go to a delicatessen and ask the person there if they carry gen-u-ine
"Smithfield Ham"....the dark red, looks dried up, stringy, salty stuff; it
almost looks like jerky. Boar's Head offers a good version although Edward's
is probably, today, the best one around. Who knows? Maybe Boar's Head is
from Edwards?
Ask the person at the deli to slice you some but it absolutely MUST be
sliced paper-thin. and I mean paper-thin or it will be inedible. For about a
dozen ham biscuits all you need is about one-half of a pound of what I've
just described: paper-thin- sliced SMITHFIELD HAM.
Now if you cannot find the Real Smithfield ham and the name is trademarked
so it has to be labeled that, a reasonable substitute is something called
Red Eye Ham which is similar to Smithfield but not quite the real
thing....but it ain't bad.
Smithfield ham is expensive.....about $12.00 per pound from a delicatessen
but a whole ham costs about $100.00