From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2013 15:24:12 -0400
Keith,

This makes perfect sense when put in context with other of Joseph Balls comments in his letters. In this same letter, he also gives specific details on how he wants a fence built, and says his own overseers are "slubbering sons of bitches" and can't be counted on to build a fence around a certain pasture  worth "a farthing when it is done." He also has the nerve to tell his manager, Joseph Chinn (and his nephew), that his (Chinn's) negroes are "lazy and saucy" and should not be allowed to cut wood on his plantation because they will just steal it. And he does not want his overseers growing any stock or flock of animal on his land, because they simply starve his own flock, and he does not want any neighbors pasturing their stock on his land for the same reason. Oh, he is quite detailed.

Joseph Ball was of course writing all these *dictat* from England and I wonder how much attention anybody paid to them.

Craig