From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:27:52 -0500

Hi Folks,

Greetings from Richmond on a cold, rainy, sleety day.  But fortunately not too much snow.  This is the regular ARRT-Richmond meeting reminded and update on other items that have come this way.

1.  The next meeting of the ARRT-Richmond will be on Wednesday, January 19, with dinner at 5:30 and the meeting at 6:30.  Our speaker is Captain John Paul Jones of the Continental Navy in (person), aka Bill Young.  Details and maps are at http://arrt-richmond.org/3.html.  Also check the Captain's web site History in Person at http://www.historyinperson.com/john_paul_jones.html.

Please remember that our $15 dues are due in January.  This modest tariff helps cover a stipend and dinner for our speakers and our other expenses.  Please continue to support ARRT-Richmond.  Thank you!  And be sure to check all the new information on our site at http://arrt-richmond.org/8.html, thanks to Mark Groth.

2.  The annual Crossing of the Dan Commemoration is on Saturday, February 19.  Details are at http://www.prizery.com/, then click on "Crossing of the Dan" on the right hand side.  It's a good day of programs and an excellent permanent exhibit.  A number of us plan to attend.

3.  This is short notice, but on Thursday, January 13, Susan Kerns will be speaking on "The Jeffersons at Shadwell" at the Virginia Historical Society.  http://www.vahistorical.org/news/lectures_banner.htm#jefferson.  Note that among the interesting group of Banner Lectures are two others that are specific to our time period.  Ed Lengel, who has made two excellent presentations to ARRT-R, will be speaking on his new book Inventing George Washington on February 24, and Barnet Schecter will be speaking on his George Washington's America: a Biography Through His Maps on June 9.  I've had the opportunity to tour with Barnet and can say that you're in for a treat.

4.  We can always count on some new and interesting offerings from SCAR.  The following is from Charles Baxley, the SCAR guru:

SCAR Fellows Will Graves and Leon Harris (with the able technical assistance of the infatigable John Robertson) are nearing the transcription and posting of the 10,000th Revolutionary War pension record of soldiers who fought in the Southern Campaigns on SCAR's pension site  http://southerncampaign.org/pen  . these records are free, on-line and fully searchable . this is a enormous achievement and changes the standard of Revolutionary War scholarship.  Please join me in congratulating these scholars as they cross this milestone.

                                                                             Currently 9,973 Pension Application and 58 Roster Transcriptions posted!

We are planning a Corps of Discovery hosted by Mike Burgess and Daniel Tortora at Ninety Six in the next three months.  We will cover the French & Indian War period and other sites not on the customary NPS tours.  Let me know if you have any interest.

Charles B. Baxley Publisher

Southern Campaigns of the American Revolution

www.southerncampaign.org

This is a great resource for your revolutionary research.

5.  Here's an interesting piece from NPR, thanks to Jim Ullman, about the new book Robert Morris: Financier of the American Revolution by Charles Rappleye.  http://www.npr.org/2010/12/20/132051519/-robert-morris-america-s-founding-capitalist?sc=emaf  Charles has alerted us to an upcoming talk at the University of Virginia on February 4.  I'll get you the details as soon as he forwards them.  Here's a review of his book from The Wall Street Journal  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703514904575602370668905224.html

6.  Here's a link to the Friends of Valley Forge Lock, Stock, and Barrel Conference on March 26, always an interesting day.  http://www.friendsofvalleyforge.org/html/lsb2011.html

7.  Finally, I'm very pleased to announce that ARRT-Richmond will host the First Congress of American Revolution Round Tables on Saturday, May 14, at the University of Richmond.  This gathering of all ARRT's and the American Revolution Association is an attempt to develop closer ties among groups, allowing us to meet, learn, share, and help each other achieve our common goals.  This is not an attempt to develop a governing board of ARRT's, but rather to establish a mutually beneficial network.  To date, ten ARRT's have indicated that they will be sending representatives.  More details will be available at the next meeting and in the future.  But mark your calendar.  All members are invited to attend.

That's enough for now.  See you on January 19, with Captain John Paul Jones.

Bill Welsch