From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:51:42 -0500
Henry,

    These are fine points that you make regarding George Washington but I am
puzzled that you seem to think of GW only as an individual planter.  Edmund
Morgan in The Genius of George Washington (sorry for my limited biblio. from
the colonial era but I am a historian of modern America) notes GW's constant
focus on leadership.  The commanding general of the revolution, the chair of
the Constitutional Convention, the first president of the United States
under that Constitution had to be mindful that he was making history and
setting an example.
    Washington knew that even his last will and testament would be news, not
only in America, but in Europe as well.  What legacy should a slaveholding
patrician, the "father of his country," leave?
    I would like to think that the personal Washington and the political
Washington had the same values but I will leave that important question to
experts on the Founding period.  Nonetheless, I think that the terms of GW's
will mollified those in the North and Europe that the problem of slavery in
a revolutionary republic would be solved by the thoughtful generosity of its
great men.  How different our history would have been had this been so.

Harold S. Forsythe
Visiting Fellow (2005-2006)
Program in Agrarian Studies
Yale University