From:
Shelby A Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 21:20:25 EST
Beth,

According to my copy of "Moore's Complete Civil War Guide to Richmond" by
Samuel J.T. Moore, the Gallego Flour Mill was located at the northwest corner
intersection of 12th and Canal Sts facing the old Turning Basin. Moore notes
that the Mill was "referred to as the 'Warwick' or "Warwick and Barkdale
Mills' since it was operated as a partnership by Abraham Warwick and William
J Barksdale at the time of the war.  Twelve stories high, this building was
one of the largest brick buildings in the United States, producing 190,000
barels of flour annually. Destroyed in the  Evacuation Fire, it was rebuilt
afterwards and remained in operation until 1930."

In addition, you might find more information on Gallego at Mike Gorman's
website on Civil War Richmond. As I can recall, either
www.civilwarrichmond.com or www.mdgorman.com will take you there.  There was
a great exhibit of Civil War era photos at the Civil War Visitor Center at
Tredegar Ironworks in Richmond the last time I visited as well and there were
several of Gallego there too. Hope that helps you a bit!

Regards,
Shelby