Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:49:17 -0400
>    We could almost facetiously contend that the reason Istook and his
>    fellow Nietzscheans are demanding the budget cuts for historical
records.

        Franklin Bell makes the preceding comment in his recent email
regarding proposed action by Congress on a budgetary matter in which Mr.
Bell has obviously keen interest.
        It is dangerous, unscholarly, unprofessional, and unwise to make
wild speculations and aspersions regarding the motivation of others.  It is
particularly
unwelcome in a forum such as VA-HIST where scholarship and accuracy in
reporting of factual information in held in high regard.
        It is perfectly acceptable for Mr Bell to express his personal
about the proposed budget changes.  It is NOT ACCEPTABLE for him to make
unwarranted claims about the motivations of other people on this or any
other
matter.
        I happen to agree with Mr Bell that cuts in this budget would be
very
unfortunate.  But I strongly protest his ad hominum attack on those who do
not
agree.  Not only is it offensive, but it makes the effort to oppose these
cuts less
credible and makes them appear merely infantile.
        -- Robert Shriner