From:
Linda Threadgill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Threadgill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2011 12:05:57 -0700
Yojsouth,
Yes, autosomal does give you percentages among other things. That is about
all you could get from the old autosomal testing, but if you test with
23andme and FTDNA you have access to your raw data which shows each
chromosome. There are applications that can be downloaded that will compare
segments of your chromosomes to others or to populations with similar
populations. Since I have not done this type of testing with FTDNA, I don't
know how much information is offer when it comes to understanding their
autosomal results.

The problem with some who do DNA testing is that they do not join some of
the forums or communities that help with understanding the information
tested or who give information on new testing methods. Having the
information analyzed outside of these testing labs can not only tell what
percentage of chromosomes you share with another person, but where.

As for exact Y matches that you mentioned, the mutations or changes in the
DNA should not be an issue since the haplogroup of Jefferson is already
known. If 111 markers were tested and the Hemings match 111 markers,
somewhere the Jeffersons and Hemings shared the same ancestor. The questions
would the be how far back that common ancestor was. I have had a 67 marker
test done and have some that match me 66/67 markers. I know our common
ancestor lived within the last 150 years. So the next step was to compare
genealogical data. If I am correct since I am doing this from memory, the
haplogroup that Jefferson belonged to did not have its origins in Europe,
but in the Middle East even though is it believed the Jefferson family had
its origins in England. Maybe he knew that he was mixed race and therefore
had no issue with Sally being a person of color.

But this for me is getting off the point that I made which is why neither
family is pursuing something that was started? I still say it was because
neither family wants to know the results of the testing.

Linda