From:
Clara Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:35:26 -0800
Savagery is savagery, no matter who is the perpetrator.  Not judging or condemning such behavior because it has been practiced consistently throughout history without limitation to race, locality, sex or religion is a personal choice, but it doesn't change the fact that savagery is evil and abominable.  To say one cannot judge one group's savagery because another group did this or that is a cop-out.

Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  The famed British General Lord Kitchener (1850-1916), victor at the Battle
of Omdurman in the Sudan (1898), took a trophy to commemorate his victory.
He had the body of the Mahdi, the Muslim prophet who had initially led the
revolt against Egyptian rule in the Sudan, disinterred. The skull was
cleaned and decorated as a ceremonial drinking cup which Kitchener kept with
him throughout his military career, which included command service in the
Anglo-Boer War (1898-1902) and in WW I (1914-1918).

The more one knows of history, the more reluctant one is to judge precisely
what acts denote civilization or its absence.

Harold S. Forsythe