From:
Gregg Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 09:13:03 -0400
A few more ideas.  Black Thunder (1936) by Arna Bontemps is based on
Gabriel's Rebellion.  Another interesting novel is The Book of Numbers
by Robert Deane Pharr, recently reprinted by the the University of
Virginia Press.  It is set in Richmond and particularly Jackson Ward.
Another Richmonder, mayor and muckraker Carlton McCarthy, wrote at least
one novel: Our Distinguished Fellow-Citizen (1890), a sordid tale of a
German saloon keeper who rises through the city's corrupt machine
politics.  Probably not great literature, but an interesting political
commentary.

A search in our catalog on McCarthy also yielded the entry below.  I
need to read this when I have time!

Typical Virginia; or, "On Newfound River." By Thomas Nelson Page ... A
review, by Carlton McCarthy, in which the friend of the "po' whites" and
"half strainers" becomes indignant and denounces another slander of the
"first families of Virginia," their poor neighbors, and Hanover County.

Richmond, Va., J.L. Hill Print. Co., 1894

Gregg Kimball
Library of Virginia