From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2005 10:09:29 -0500
I can't remember the citations but years ago I read an article that compared
the "starving time" in colonial Virginia with the strange atrophy of US
prisoners of war in Korea circa 1950-1953.  The thesis of the article was
that cultural alienation produced a psychological lethargy that literally
killed the settlers and prisoners.  For the Korea situation I have gathered
plenty of anecdotal evidence, because many of my teachers from grade school
to college where Korean War vets.  The one that is most memorable was told
to me by an older student, a Cherokee who joined the Marines, was seriously
wounded in Korea and captured by the Chinese.  He told me that he had three
bullets in him and had perotenitus (sp?) and swore that he would stay alive,
accept Chinese medical aid, and just keep his mind focused on staying alert
and alive.  And as he healed he noticed that all around him his unwounded
comrades began to fade, stop eating, and thus die.
    Edmund Morgan more than suggests (in American Slavery, American Freedom)
that the colonists, unsophisticated in intercultural relations, similarly
atrophied, at least until they discovered the commerical value of tobacco
and focused on getting rich.

Harold S. Forsythe
Visiting Fellow (2005-2006)
Program in Agrarian Studies