From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:54:33 -0500
There is a classified index of all biographies included in the two
volumes of the Dictionary of Virginia Biography that have been published
to date. Volume one contains biographies of subjects with the surnames
Aaroe through Blanchfield; and volume two contains biographies with the
surnames Bland through Cannon.

To view the classified index, begin at the Library of Virginia's web
site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us and click open the Site Index in the
left margin, click open the letter D, and click open Dictionary of
Virginia Biography.

The classified index includes an alphabetical list of all subjects, a
chronological list of all subjects, a list of all contributors and which
biographies they wrote, lists of all women, African Americans, and
Native Americans included, lists of places of birth and principal places
of residence for all subjects, and a list of occupations and realms of
renown, such as member of the House of Representatives; Baptist
clergyman; physician; preservationist; principal in a court case; poet;
and several dozen other categories.

NB: About the time that volume three is published later this year, this
classified index will be reconfigured for more easy searching, and it
will then include the names of all the subjects from Aaroe through
Daniels.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us