From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:01:45 -0800
My ancestor, Rawley Pinn, started a Baptist Church in the 1700's, which
still exists today. The name of the Church is Fairmount Baptist, and it is
in Stapleton Virginia (Nelson County).  Church records have been kept from
the 1700's, when members had to hide from the Anglicans & Episcopalians to
have service. Rawley Pinn, was listed as Mulatto in the 1783 census, and was
also a farmer in Amherst County. He was the first pastor and founder of
Fairmount Baptist Church. The Baptist Movement was called the Great
Awakening, and it was actually outlawed by the Anglican Church. In 1768, the
Anglicans enforced the law against preaching by unlicensed dissenters, and
about thirty-four Ministers were thrown in jail. I wonder how this happened
since the point has been made that the Anglicans were not the law.

Anita

AMAZON.COM PURCHASE SITE - NOTES AND DOCUMENTS OF FREE PERSONS OF COLOR :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1411603338/qid=1097778584/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-8775456-1855815?v=glance&s=books

BOWDENS' OF POPES CREEK WEBSITE:
http://www.orgsites.com/ca/mpbwdnfnd/index.html

"The ruin of a nation begins in the homes of its
people" African Proverb.