From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:57:33 -0500
My mother always called it "poor horse" (to make fun of Daddy), but we
all ate it.
We've all  been talking about the tastes of the south (and I guess
Pennsylvania and Virginia Germans--our Kiracofes came over as George
III's mercenaries, but stayed around because they found plenty of
Germans here), what about the smells?:  all this talk of ham, and stew
and panhaus -- we get some pretty distinctive southern smells (don't
forget collards!).  What are some other smells we associate with the
south?

David

David Kiracofe
History
Tidewater Community College
Chesapeake Campus
1428 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, Virginia 23322
757-822-5136
>>> Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]> 01/11/07 6:13 PM >>>
David,

The valley was settled by the Penn Dutch folks, if I remember my
geography
well enough. In my Penn Dutch cookbook it's written as panhaus. When I
was
little, my mom used to sometimes go to the family farm and get fresh
scrapple. It wasn't in a loaf, it was just put in the pan and heated,
often
we had it with scrambled eggs.

The local stores sell a scrapple, but it just isn't the same as back
home.
But, then what is?

BTW, do they make Shoo Fly Pie in the valley? Do they put hard boiled
eggs
in their potato salad? Mom used to cut up the eggs in the salad, then
put
some sliced eggs on the top, topped then with paprika and nutmeg. First
time
I added paprika and nutmeg to potato salad for my Richmond-born husband,
he
asked if I was poisoning him!

Anne
Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.erols.com/apembert
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org

To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the
instructions