From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:25:55 -0500
Fun stuff, Harold!  The Louisiana Purchase was made by a "treaty" because
TJ was afraid the French might withdraw the offer while the US went
through the process of drafting and ratifying an appropriate amendment
permitting the acquisition of foreign territory.  I presume the treaty
was ratified by the Senate so its constitutionality would more likely be
addressed by the Supreme Court than a court of impeachment.

The Hemings matter is a bit of a Clintonesque turn: but Jefferson never
really went public in his denials, so is that any more misleading than
any other presidential philanderer who was never put on the spot to deny
or lie?  (the other big name philanderers weren't Virginians so we'll let
that go).  And maybe someone can verify the thought in my head now that
Jefferson was actually censured by the Mass. House of Representatives
over the Callender accusations.

The Burr trials: I think this may be where truly impeachable offenses
occurred.  I don't really buy the line that Jefferson directed the
prosecution from behind the scenes, but he obstructed justice as much as
he pursued Burr (and claimed executive privilege in doing so, withholding
documents and so forth, attempting to manipulate potential witnesses like
Erich Bollman -- for which he was chastised by Marshall).  The Burr
trials were so much a matter of politics and trial by public opinion --
hence Jefferson's zeal in declaring Burr's guilt before trial.  Very bad.

David Kiracofe
College of Charleston