From:
Margaret Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:04:01 -0500
Margaret Peters
804-644-0980
----- Original Message -----
From: Margaret Peters
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 8:26 AM
Subject: Questions about Jim Crow and real estate restrictions

I am currently working on a project involving the Fifeville-Castle Hill neighborhood in the City of Charlottesville.  In my research, we have discovered a 1912 Charlottesville ordinance that directed neighborhood segregation.  This was not an ordinance directing segregation in a planned development where separation of races was part of the covenant but a specific City ordinance prohibiting the two races to live side by side anywhere in the City.  The ordinance passed by the Council was vetoed by the Mayor and his veto was subsequently over-ridden.  I would like to know if anyone is aware of similar ordinances or official City laws that mandated segregation in other Virginia cities in this time period.  I know that there was de-facto segregation, but during the first decade of the 20th century there were always a number of mixed neighborhoods (certainly in Richmond's Jackson Ward).

Thanks for any information that you all might have.

Margaret Peters

Margaret Peters
804-644-0980