From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 17:24:52 -0500
Mr. Vejnar and All:

    I am sure that there are scholarly journals which are prejudiced against
certain subject but I do not think that the VMHB falls into that category.
Having published an article there, reviewed for the journal, and also having
been a blind reviewer of manuscripts;  I can attest to the catholicity of
its tastes.
    The fact is the fairest journal in the world is still subject to the
interests of scholars who seek to publish in it.  I work on the Southside.
I did notice a considerable prejudice against the Southside among Virginians
I met in Richmond, Williamsburg, etc.
Well, you know "south of the James lies Dixie."  The Southside is small
towns and tobacco farms.  Many of the counties are still majority black.
Most of the great estates were and are in the Tidewater.
    Yet, I received nothing but encouragement and sound advice from people
at the VHS and the LV.  Sure enough, the first piece I produced on the
Southside, the VMHB published.  My sense was that besides just being kind
and supportive, the VHS and LV staff recognized that there was a shortage of
work on late-19th century Southside history.  Now, we have Jeff
Kerr-Ritchie's Freedpeople of the Tobacco South, Jayne Dailey's Before Jim
Crow which certainly includes the Southside, Hampton Carey's fine Columbia
University doctoral dissertation, New Voices in the Old Dominion:  Black
Politics in the Virginia Southside Region and the City of Richmond,
1867-1902 (2000), and my humble work, the Southside has begun to get the
sort of historical coverage it merits.
    Let me ask you, how many scholars do you know who work on southwest
Virginia?  How many have claimed to have been rejected for publication by
the VMHB?
    As I remember it, a large portion of the manuscript material from the
WPA folklore collection for Virginia focuses on Wise County.  I am sure that
there are other resources, including mss. legal records, etc.  If you came
up with a rationale besides something like 'one region, one article' as you
appear to me to have argued here, it might move graduate students and
established scholars to take an interest in Wise County and its neighbors.
    Such work would have to meet the high standards of the VMHB, but that is
true for articles about UVA, the Tidewater, and the Civil War.
    By the way, I agree that Virginia's hill country and foothill country
needs a fuller examination.

with respect,

Harold S. Forsythe