From:
Diana Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 15:16:14 -0400
Dear Phoebe:

The following is an excerpt out of my new book "The Kerchevals in
America". My ancestor was William Kercheval.

"It wasn't until Burgoyne was captured at Saratoga in 1777 that William
begins to appear in the annals of history. He enlisted  in a militia
(local army) during the Revolutionary War to guard prisoners. The
British prisoners from the Battle of  Saratoga were first held in
Winchester then transferred to Charlottesville. William's duty was for
three months term under Colonel Christian Febiger.  In  June of 1781 he
enlisted again for the same service in Charlottesville for three more
months. In In June of 1781 Lord Cornwallis sent Colonel Tarleton to make
a surprise raid and capture Governor Thomas Jefferson and the Virginia
legislature in Charlottesville. Jack Jouett is said to have overheard a
discussion of the raid in a local tavern jumped on his horse and rode
all night to warn Jefferson. The night before the raid Tarleton stayed
in a  private home. The lady that owned the home was a patriot and tried
to delay Tarleton by feeding him home-made biscuits. Meanwhile, Jack
Jouett reached Jefferson and told him about the raid. Jefferson and
seven Virginia Legislators scattered. Tarleton arrived at Monticello to
find only the minor legislators there and they were not worth taking as
prisoners.. "