From:
"Metz, John (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2012 18:45:17 +0000
Following on the recommendations of several fine studies of post-war economic development, I would suggest Gavin Wright's OLD SOUTH, NEW SOUTH: REVOLUTIONS IN THE SOUTHERN ECONOMY SINCE THE CIVIL WAR (1986) and Gilgert Fite's COTTON FIELDS NO MORE: SOUTHERN AGRICULTURE, 1865-1980 (1984).

Both argue that the slow pace of Southern economic development was ultimately tied to a labor market that remained low wage and under developed until the Second World War.  Prior to the Civil War, the South was predominately agricultural and Southern capital was invested primarily in slaves.  Following emancipation, land became the focus of investment, and cheap labor was necessary to work that land.  The debt peonage and tennancy that followed worked against the accumulation of the capital necessary to invest in mechanization.

Moreover, I think that the difficulty in devising an effective mechanical solution for harvesting cotton, the South's foremost agricultural product between 1865 and 1945, reinforced the reliance on low-wage croppers and tennants who depended on the mule power.  While the Rust brothers developed an effective and economically-viable cotton picker by the early 1930s, International harvester would not introduce the first commercial line until 1942 when they announced they would produce just twelve a year.  The annual rate of production had only increased to 107 by 1946.  However, the jump in production to 15,700 a year by 1953 demonstrates the impact of migration and economic diversification introduced into the South as a result of the Second World War WWII.

I understand and appreciate the difficulty in finding information detailing the introduction and proliferation of specific types of mechanized farm equipment, but I have found that the agricultural bullettins produced as a part of each deccenial census since 1880 provide excellent county-level data on products, livestock, farmholding, and equipment, although it does not identify specific kinds or brands of equipment farmers were investing in.  The link to these is here: http://www.census.gov/prod/www/abs/decennial/.